A Proposal and Call for Funding for GoPeaks.org Initiative
Global OpenLabs for Performance-Enhancement Analytics and Knowledge System
“Without a common framework to organize findings, isolated knowledge does not cumulate.”
…2009 Nobel Laureate Elinor Ostrom
1. In March- April 2018, I presented the core ideas of GoPeaks to some leaders in the consulting industry and b-school accreditation such as Dominic Barton (Global Managing Director of McKinsey Co.), John Harmeling (Chief Marketing Officer of Grand Thornton), and Tom Robinson (President/CEO of AACSB International) on the .
2. With Michael Hagstroem (then COO at McKinsey Analytics), Jennifer Roberts (then Charlotte Mayor), and Dr. Mirsad Hadzikadic (Director of Data Science Initiative and Founding Dean of College of Computing and Informatics, University of North Carolina at Charlotte), I hosted a Charlotte City Club “Big Thinkers” Forum in 2017 on how to form an industry-university-government community to promote resource exchanges on analytics. I presented a proposed knowledge navigation system (Figure 1 above) integrating science and practice. The event was attended by 90+ educational, business, and public-sector leaders in the Charlotte region.
3. With Dr. Denise Rousseau (University Professor at Carnegie Mellon University; 2005 President of Academy of Management) and Dr. Michael Hitt (University Professor Emeritus at Texas A&M University; 1997 President of Academy of Management), I am proposing a new research society of business faculty and doctoral students to contribute integrative frameworks to the “GoPeaks” library. We did a 2017 Academy of Management Panel Symposium on “Time is ripe for knowledge synthesis: (Re)inventing technologies, outlets, and incentives” with three other former Academy presidents, Dr. Jim Walsh (University of Michigan; 2010 President), Dr. Susan Jackson (Rutgers University; 2011 President), and Dr. Duane Ireland (Texas A&M University; 2014 President). The panel discussed ideas to encourage knowledge integration as a new agenda for management studies and how it can complement the existing scientific journal-centric system. In the panel, I presented a concept demo for a GoPeaks ecosystem (YouTube link to the right). Dr. Hitt, Dr. Rousseau, and I are proposing an academic committee for “GoPeaks”, nominating an annual award for the best work of business knowledge synthesis.
4. I organized and chaired the 2016 Academy of Management Professional Development Workshop (PDW) on “Creating a more reliable and cumulative knowledge ecosystem: Meeting senior editors of five leading journals”, with Dr. Arun Rai (Editor-in-Chief, MIS Quarterly), Dr. Kris Byron (Associate Editor, Academy of Management Review), Dr. Christopher Marquis (Associate Editor, Administrative Science Quarterly), Dr. Gilad Chen (Editor, Journal of Applied Psychology), and Dr. John Cantwell (then Editor-in-Chief, Journal of International Business Studies). The panel discussed how to redesign journal presentations and editorial policies so that knowledge is more accessible and accumulative.
5. With Dr. Henry Mintzberg (McGill University), Dr. Peter Lorange (former President of IMD and Lorange Institute, former board member of AACSB and EFMD), Dr. William Glick (then Chair of AACSB, then Dean of Jones Graduate School of Business, Rice University), and Dr. JC Spender (former Dean of NYIT, Co-editor of Oxford Handbook of Management Education), I hosted the 2015 Academy of Management Panel Symposium on “Designing the future business schools”. The panel discussed ideas to reform the incentive systems of business schools towards a better integration between science and practice.
2017-2027 © Victor Zitian Chen